I love Thai food. Close to coastal southie flavours with the use of coconut but the addition of lemon grass and fish sauce add that twist to the dish.
I was keen on making green curry but lack of ingredients made me opt for the tried and tasted red curry. Fiery, spicy, creamy with hot steamed rice makes a perfect Sunday lunch.
This recipes is from Nita Mehta, and its such a simple recipe that there is no excuse not to make it from scratch. The red Kashmiri chillies give it the wonderful colour. If u wish to make it more fiery then just add sliced red bird eye chillies at the end.
1/2 kg boneless chicken
1 pkt mushroom
10 florets of broccoli
4 babycorn sliced
10 french beans cut into half
2 pkt coconut milk
3-4 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
1 tsp soya sauce
8-9 Kafir lime leaves
1/4 cup basil leaves
sliced red birds eye chilli
RED CURRY PASTE –
8 dried Kashmiri chillies soaked for half hr
1 chopped big onion
15 chopped garlic flakes
1 ” chopped ginger
3 (only stalks) of lemon grass chopped
3 tbsp roasted coriander seeds
2 tsp roasted jeera
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
2) heat oil in a pan, add the paste, fry a little
3) add the chicken and 2 tbsp coconut milk, let it cook in the gravy till 80% done.
4) add kafir lime leaves, salt, fish sauce, soya sauce and rest of the coconut milk. Let it simmer covered for a couple of mins.
5) Add the baby corn and french beans, cook for 5-10 mins, then add the mushrooms and basil leaves. Add 1/2 cup water if its too thick. let it simmer for 5 more mins
6) Add the broccoli, adjust seasoning, let it simmer for 5 more mins
7) garnish with spring onion greens and birds eye chilli.
Serve with steamed rice