For some reason I had loads of Coconut at home and though I don’t use it much, even though I am Mangalorean, I still can’t figure out why I had so many.
I needed coconut for a vegetable preparation and when I broke open one realised it was dried from inside. It hadn’t gone bad but had become kopra/ dried coconut.
I asked my friends and they suggested from using it for gravies or to make burfi. Most recipes online asked me to use fresh or dessicated coconut and I wasn’t sure if copra qualified. I still went ahead and made this with it. It’s so easy. 3 ingredients and no effort. I love coconut in most forms and this was a hit at out place.
200 gms dried coconut
200 gms condensed milk
50 gms soft butter
cocoa powder for rolling
- Peel off the dark cover of the dried coconut and run the white flesh in the mixer till it’s a coarse powder. Don’t add anything to it.
- Mix this powdered coconut with condensed milk.
- Add the soft butter and mix well. Ensure the butter is at room temperature and soft, do not melt it.
- Roll into balls and keep in the fridge for 2-3 hrs.
- Shape them well again and roll it in cocoa powder. You can also choose to dunk it in melted chocolate but I like the combination of the sweet condensed milk & coconut with the bitter cocoa. It balances the flavours.
- Chill and serve.