Aaj khaane mein kya hai? This question I hear daily, which means I need to introduce some variety for the family time to time.
Last night to this afternoon, my lunch plans changed quite a few times. Finally late morning I remembered this kulcha made recently by my friend Apeksha. She is fantastic with rotis and parathas so I knew the kulchas would be fabulous. Made her send me a proper recipe and voila these rustic kulchas are ready.
The kulchas are stuffed with pudina alu and pyaaz and given a rustic flame effect by frying on a steel jaali. Pair it with some pudina pyaaz and curd and imagine you are on a highway dhaba up north sitting on a khatiya listening to folk music.
Makes 4 stuffed kulchas – recipe by Apeksha Mehta
1 1/4 cup atta
1.5 tbsp maida
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
2 tbsp dahi
1/2 tsp ajwain (u can add more also)
Salt to taste 1tsp roughly
1tbsp oil or ghee
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients except water.
- Gradually add water and knead a soft dough.
- Rest for 1hr at least
3 medium mash potatoes
1 chopped onion
Paste – 3 spicy chillies, 1/2 inch ginger, 6-7 medium sized garlic cloves
2 tbsp chopped dhania,
2 tbsp chopped pudina
1/2 lemon juice
1 tsp chaat masala
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp amchur
- Mix all the ingredients together to make the stuffing.
- Chaat masala and salt should be balanced as both are salty.
- Masala shld be ekdum chatpata as when u make final kulcha, taste will subside in atta.
Kalonji or onion seeds
Butter to brush the kulchas
- Take a ball of the dough roll it out.
- Add enough stufffing, lift the sides of the rolled out dough and cover the stuffing. Basically make a stuffed ball. Pinch the seams
- Dust with some atta powder and Use your hands to flatten the ball and make like a stuffed paratha. Ensure that u don’t push the stuffing to the side, press gently.
- Press some coriander and kalonji on the top of the kulcha.
- Place it on a tawa. Half cook both the sides.
- Put a steel jaali/papad jaali on the gas flame.
- Place the half cooked kulcha on it, u will need to keep an eye on the flame as well as ensure that all surfaces of the kulcha is getting the flame.
- Turn over and cook in the same way.
- Remove it from heat and brush butter on the side with coriander and kalonji.
- Serve hot with chutney onions and curd.