Last week’s bakes left me with quite a few chocolate cake trimmings. Was wondering what to do with them and then thought why not cake pops?
Had the whole thing worked out in my mind and this morning when I opened the fridge to remove the trimmings, saw that the box was half empty. Could barely make 3 pops from them. Investigations revealed my husband was the cake thief.
Now my mind was set on the pops so quickly made a few cupcakes and patiently waited for them to cool. Made the pops and covered them with coloured white chocolate. Different hues of blue to match the gorgeous summer sky.
Ingredients (Makes 8-9 pops)
2 1/2 cups chocolate sponge cake (u can use trimmings or leftovers)
2-3 tbsp chocolate ganache (2:1 ratio of melted chocolate:cream with a spoon of butter)
300 gms white chocolate
candy colour of your choice (i used Wilton Blue)
- Crumble the cake to make fine crumbs.
- Mix 2 tbsp of chocolate ganache to make a binding dough. Judge the consistency, Don’t make it too wet else they will leave water later.
- Make balls out of the dough and lay them away from each other on a baking sheet or tray. keep in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Melt little white chocolate, dip the ridged end of the stick in the white chocolate and poke it in the cake balls.
- Once all are done, keep in the fridge for 1 hr.
- Melt the remaining white chocolate in the double boiler and once completely melted, add the colour of your choice. Just dip a toothpick in your colour and mix it in the chocolate, adjust shade as per your preference.
- Dip 1 cake ball in the chocolate to coat well, allow few seconds to drip of excess chocolate and immediately cover in sprinkles of your choice. Do not wait longer as the chocolate will harden up immediately. Repeat process with all other pops.
- Leave out to air dry, ensuring they are not touching each other, Ready to serve in 10 mins.