As a young girl, I loved reading chicken soup for the soul. Some beautiful messages, some heart touching stories and time spent with the series felt like a warm reassuring hug.
Chicken soup also is exactly like the series, warm, reassuring and nourishing. This light broth is flavourful and healthy. A must try for any season or mood, an instant lift me up.
200- 250 gms chicken with bones (I use neck and fee other pcs we normally don’t enjoy, but ensure you do have some meat on the pieces too for shredding)
1 big onion chopped
6-7 garlic flakes chopped
1 inch ginger grated
2 bay leaves
3 cups water
1 tbsp butter
1 sliced carrot
4 sliced mushrooms
6-7 leaves sliced spinach
1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a cooker, put the chicken pieces, onion, ginger, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and water. Give it one whistle and leave on slow flame for 5 mins.
- When the pressure drops seperate the chicken pieces, and strain the liquid from the onion garlic etc.
- Shred the chicken and discard the bones. Keep aside
- Put the onion bits in the mixer and make a coarse paste.
- Take a pot, add the butter, liquid and onion paste, heat the mix.
- Add the carrots and salt and let it cook till half done
- Add the mushrooms and let it boil for couple of minutes before adding the spinach.
- Allow the spinach to blanch then add the lemon juice and adjust seasoning.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well.
- You can serve it with some bread stick