When my kids were born, in the first year, I would celebrate their birthdays monthly. Get a cake, sing happy birthday and then relish it while the little one was clueless. Any reason to eat cake right. 😛
This blog, was a long time in the making. A push and nudge and loads of help from friends saw the birth of Vishual Foodie. Today the blog completes one month and also this will be my 50th post. So its time for cake. Yippee!!
I love the look of naked cakes, no fuss and simple flavours. I have the recipe of the worlds best sponge and decided to make a vanilla sponge and use the seasons freshest strawberries. Strawberries go perfectly with whipped cream. So the cake is layered vanilla sponge with, strawberries and whipped cream. Sinful.
I wanted to take it up one level, so made the most delicious cinnamon rum sauce to drizzle over this delicious cake. Many a taste tests (oh those area must) later, the sauce was ready to be generously poured over the delicious cake. Hope u enjoy it.
3/4 cup powdered sugar,
3/4 cup maida,
1 tsp baking powder,
2 tsp vanilla extract,
1 tbsp hot water
4/5 tbsp simple syrup
1) pre heat oven to 180 C for 10-15 mins
1) separate egg white and yolks
2) beat egg whites till they are stiff, add sugar gradually and keep beating it
3) add yolks and extract, mix it well.
4) Add the hot water and beat the mixture till it doubles in size
5) Sift maida and baking powder in a separate bowl
6) fold in the dry ingredients..dont beat it, fold it gradually
7) ) grease the cake tin and pour the batter.
8) bake for 30-35 minutes on 180C.
9) when cool, slice the cake horizontally. Sprinkle the simple syrup on both the layers. Leave for 10 mins and sprinkle again
1 cup Rich/Tropolite whip cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Chill the beater blades and the steel vessel u will use for 15 mins in the fridge
2) let the cream also be semi frozen
3) pour the cream in the steel vessel and put it on an ice bath (big plate with lots of ice cubes)
4) Avoid any bodyheat when holding the vessel, use an electric hand beater and whip it till its stiff.
5) Add the sugar and vanilla extract, continue to whisk till it peaks. A test is if you overturn the bowl, it should not drip.
6) if the cream doesn’t peak, keep everything in the fridge for 10 minutes and then continue whisking.
Cinnamon rum sauce
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup dark rum
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1) Heat butter in a heavy bottomed pan and add sugar and cinnamon powder.
2) mix with a wooden spoon and let the sugar blend into the sauce.
3) Shut the heat and add in the rum and vanilla extract. Mix well
4) serve the sauce warm