I like mangoes. If I am in the mood then I love them too. Strangely I don’t like mango in any other form except as a fruit. I hate mango icecream or lassi or kulfi or barfi or etc etc.
My cousin visiting from Canada decided to come to India in the peak of the summers and in the midst of full fledged mango season. And he fell in love with the King of fruit. Starts his day eating mango. One bite mango and one sip chai. What a combination. Go figure.
When he decided to come home for a night in, I knew I needed to whip up a dessert with mangoes for him. And this is what I came up with. Mango indulgence. And for a change I liked it too ?
200 gms vanilla cake or any store bought cake
3 chopped ripe Alphonso mangoes
2-3 tbsp (white) Alcohol – bacardi, smirnoff, cointreau, tequila (optional)
3-4 tbsp sugar syrup
150 gms whipped cream
3-4 tbsp chopped pistachio
- Divide the cake into serving bowls or glasses – Around 6 servings
- Pour little alcohol mixed with sugar syrup or if you do not want to use alcohol then put only sugar syrup just to soak the sponge.
- Place the chopped mangoes on top of the sponge generously.
- Pipe the whipped cream on top of the mangoes in a nice pattern.
- Sprinkle pistas and choco chips generously.
- Chill for an hour before serving.