This year, we did not keep Ganpati due to certain personal reasons and I was missing the festivities big time. Every year mom makes the chana dal sabudana payasam but this year since I was doing all the cooking, decided to try the vermicelli one which we call Semai Da payasa.
I have never liked kheer much and usually refuse when offered but in the past couple of years have started loving the one made by my friend Alifya. I specifically made this version because of that. Enjoyed it to the core
1.5 cup fine vermicelli
1.5 cup full fat milk (boiled and cooled)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup ghee
Handful slivered almonds
Handful chopped pistachios
1 tsp cardamom powder
Pinch of saffron soaked in few tsps of warm milk
- Roast the vermicelli in ghee till it gets a nice golden colour. Ensure its even so use a big vessel ot roast in batches.
- Add the almonds and pistachios towards the end of the roasting session and fry them off well. U can add other nuts or died fruit too.
- Warm the milk and add the sugar and elaichi allowing it to dissolve. Adjust the sugar as per taste. U can add little at a time to adjust the sweetness as per your preference.
- Add this sweet milk to the vermicelli and mix gently. Allow to cook till you see the ghee float on top.
- Add the saffron and give it a mix. Adjust consistency by adding more milk if too thick.
- Shut the gas and serve hot.