A quiet corner, rains threatening to drench everything but the sun still not ready to give up. A favourite book, a hot cup of lemon tea and a generous slice of moist lemon almond cake. And just because I feel like it, a dollop of whipped cream on the side. Pure bliss.
This cake is tangy and nutty and moist and delicious. Superlative from all angles. It’s from Pooja Dhingra’s The Big book of treats and a really easy recipe to follow.
125 gms butter
125 gms castor sugar
100 gm maida
1 tsp baking soda
50 gms ground almonds
1 tsp lemon zest
5 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 165C.
- Whisk the butter and castor sugar till thick and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk till well combined.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together and fold it into the mixture.
- Add the ground almonds, lemon zest, and lemon juice and fold it in gently.
- Bake in a 250 gms lined loaf tin at 165C from 20-25 mins