There used to be a time when I absolutely hated mushrooms. Like abhorred them. I used to work in Pune that time and there used to be a restaurant called Zamus which was famous for their crispy fried mushrooms with garlic sauce. My friends ate there all the time and I was left looking at their faces.
Then one day I can’t remember how and when, I felt deeply madly in love with mushrooms and couldn’t wait to get back to Zamus to hog on their crispy mushrooms . And my love affair with mushrooms led me to try so many styles
Presenting mushroom stacks. Crispy bread topped with spiced tomato chutney and garlicky sautéed mushrooms. Made stacks and topped with caramelised onions. So pretty that you can easily celebrate an occasion with it. So today I celebrate my love for mushrooms
1 pkt of button mushrooms sliced
1 onion chopped
7-8 garlic minced
1/2 tsp each – chilli flakes, oregano
1) heat butter and sauté the onion and garlic till they start to sweat.
2) add the mushrooms on a high flame. Sauté till it leaves water.
3) add the salt and herbs and keep on high flame mixing occasionally.
4) shut the gas when the water has dried up and the mushrooms are golden
Spiced tomato chutney
3 big chopped Tomatoes
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp paprika/Chilli powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp jeera powder
1) heat olive oil in the pan, add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
2) add the tomatoes and all the other ingredients. Cook on slow flame for 20-30 mins.
3) once the tomatoes leave oil, mash them till they have a chutney texture.
1 round sliced onions
1/2 tsp butter
1/2 tsp oil
1) heat oil and butter in a pan on high heat
2) add the onions and mix well
3) lower gas and cook the onion for 10 mins
4) add sugar and salt and let the onions turn a nice amber colour mixing frequently. About 20-25 mins.
1) cut the bread into shapes of your choice and brush the bread slices with olive oil and pan fry to make them crispy.
2) spread the spiced tomato chutney on one slice of bread, top with the mushrooms. Add another slice of bread and spread chutney and then the mushrooms. Add the top slice and sprinkle some caramelised onions on top. Serve hot.