Looks like this week is all about savoury bakes. And am loving it.
Spicy salty crunchy goodness. Such an easy recipe of oregano and cheese crackers. Make it thin and pair it with a creamy delicious dip or make it slightly thicker and enjoy it as a biscuit.
I wish I had those little animal cutters, this reminded me of those jeera animal biscuits we used to get. Diff spices but lovely to munch on
Thanks once again Anuja Sule from Simple Baking for your wonderful recipes and always encouraging us to try new things.
235 gms all-purpose flour
225 gm grated cheddar cheese, firmly packed (processed cube cheese will do)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper/chilli flakes
½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
½ cup (120 ml) chilled water (approximately) , you may not need all
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine the spice topping and set aside.
- Grate the cheese and put in the bowl with flour, oregano, salt and pepper and mix it together.
- Add the oil and mix to getl the consistency of wet sand.
- Add enough water for the dough to come together.
- Form the dough into two disks, wrap with cling film and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Heat the oven to moderate 160°C.
- Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, use a rolling pin and roll to appx 3 mm thick.
- Cut the strips into cracker shapes or cut out using a cookie cutter.
- Transfer to a parchment lined cookies sheet and sprinkle with the spice mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until medium golden brown.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within three days.