A bread packed with so much flavour that can be eaten by itself. Another bread recipe adapted once again from Sumod Toms blog.
All-purpose Flour – 241 grams
Whole wheat flour – 241 gms
Milk – 300 grams Sugar – 32 grams
Instant yeast – 2 1/4 teaspoons bloomed in 1/4 cup lukewarm water and 1 tsp sugar
Salt – 1 3/4 teaspoons
Butter – 30 grams soft
Milk Powder – 35 grams
Minced Garlic – 20 gms
Mixed herbs – 2 tbsp
Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Take ¼ cup lukewarm water, add 1 teaspoon sugar and the instant yeast, mix well and set aside to rise for about 10-15 mins.
- Mix the flours, milk powder and salt in a bowl.
- In another large bowl mix the milk and sugar. Add the risen yeast mix to this.
- Start adding the flour mix, a cup at a time, mixing well with a silicon or plastic scraper (if you do not have a scraper, mix with hand), till you get very wet dough, which starts pulling off from the side of the bowl.
- Add butter little at a time to the mix and keep kneading.
- Add the garlic, chilli flakes and herbs and incorporate it well in thr dough.
- Transfer this to a lightly floured work table, knead gently for 8-10 minutes (lift, spread and throw or stretch and pull), adding little flour at a time (if required only), till you get a very loose, but not sticky dough. (The dough may seem very sticky, but after the above kneading, it will automatically form smooth dough, do not add excess flour, and do not knead hard). Don’t overwork the dough
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Grease the dough also.
- Cover it, with a wet cloth and let it rise at room temperature (preferably warm place) until it’s doubled in size, appx 1 to 1.5 hours.
- You can check by lightly pressing with your finger. If there is an indentation then it’s ready.
- Punch the dought down well.
- Divide the dough into 3, roughly 300-320 GM’s each.
- Flatten it with your fingers and make a rectangular flat base.
- Begin from one end and gently roll the dough into a log.
- Make it tight by pressing from all sides and shape it into a log. Place on a silipat mat or parchment paper leaving a distance between each other.
- Let it rest covered in cling film till it doubles in size. Anywhere between 30-45 mins or more.
- Preheat the oven at 190 degrees Celsius.
- Brush with a milk wash and put it in the oven to bake between 180-200 degrees for 16 mins or till golden brown and has a knock to the crust.
- When the bread has browned well remove and let it cool.
- Slice and serve warm.