I love watching food shows and most of the risotto challenges are a make or break in the contest. Have never ever tried risotto and even after searching I couldn’t get access to arborio rice easily. And then I visited USA, and went berserk shopping for ingredients. Arborio was one of them
My cousin gifted me a lovely Australian wine and I knew the flavours would blend well with the risotto as the Indian wines were not working too well when used as a cooking element. I had some lemon garlic marinated prawns and wanted to make a prawn risotto but then my husband would not be able to enjoy them so instead made a creamy saffron risotto using chicken stock and parmesan. Added saffron for that stunning colour. The prawns on top are just to make me happy.
The texture was creamy with a slight bite. Would like to work more on the flavours as I feel risottos can be a bit boring after half the bowl is polished off
1 cup arborio rice
4-5 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
1 finely chopped onion
3-4 minced garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp butter
1 big pinch saffron
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1) Keep the stock on a low simmer as u need to add worm stock to the risotto.
2) Heat oil in a deep heavy bottomed pan, add oil and sauté the onions and garlic.
3) When pink, add the rice and a pinch of salt, toast till it becomes pearly white. Do not brown
4) Add wine and saffron, let it simmer while stirring with a wooden spoon till the wine is absorbed by the rice
5) Add 2 ladles of the stock to the risotto, while stirring at simmer.
6) when the stock is absorbed add 1 ladle at a time till it gets absorbed again. Only add stock when the previous batch has been absorbed by the rice. Stir at intervals.
7) continue this process till the rice is cooked but still has a bite to it and its not to watery. Remember you will have to give it your attention and avoid wandering off for too long.
8) When the rice is at the right texture and consistency, stir in the butter and mix well.
9) Shut the gas and stir in the grated parmesan. Cover and let it sit in the risotto for a couple of minutes.
10) Serve immediately and top with parmesan shavings or leman garlic prawns as i have