I always wanted to make pizza from scratch, and what better day than today. Made the pizza sauce which is robust and delicious and I have made it so many times. Used Sumod Toms 50:50 pizza base recipe. Topped with some lemon herb spicy chicken, pork salami, mushrooms, olives and bell peppers and loads of cheese.
The taste of Home made crust is so delicious, beats a store bought one anyday. This recipe is a keeper. Would love to try so many variations in the future.
PIZZA DOUGH – https://sumodtomzcuisines.com/recipe/my-favorite-pizza-recipe-form-scratch/
Whole wheat flour – 1 1/2 cups
All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
Lukewarm water – 1 1/8 cups
Honey – 2 Table spoon
Olive oil – 2 Table spoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Yeast – 2 Teaspoon
- In a bowl take 1 1/8 cup lukewarm water, add 1 tsp sugar and 2 tsp dry yeast. Mix well and set aside to rise.
- In a large mixing bowl, take Whole wheat flour – 1 1/2 cups and All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups, add 2 Tbs olive oil, 2 Tbs honey and 1 tsp salt.
- Mix all the above using a scrape to make smooth soft dough, transfer to a lightly floured work table and knead gently at least 10 Minutes. Make a ball shaped dough.
- Transfer it back to lightly greased mixing bowl, gently grease with olive oil and cover with a wet cloth and set aside to rise for 1 ½ to 2 Hours.
- When it has doubled in size , knock down the dough, knead it a litte. Make four equal shaped dough balls. Pat down to the desire shape. Appx dough weight is between 700-750 gms so u can decide the size per pizza.
- Final finishing and spreading can be done with hand (it shouldn’t be too thick). Poke the spread base with a fork, add a table spoon of olive oil and spread all over the base.
- Leave it to rest for 15 mins, then start assembling.
1 bay leaf
1 large onion chopped
10 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 readymade tomato purée pkt
1 tbsp each dried oregano, basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tbsp red chilli flakes
1 tbsp maida
- Puree the blanch tomatoes or if you prefer chunky then make a mince with a chopping knife.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and add the bay leaf, onions and garlic. Sautée to pink
- Add the tomato, pkt purée, chilli flakes, dried herbs and salt (if adding fresh herbs do it towards the end as it will will taste better).
- Cook till tomatoes are soft. Add some maida to thicken the sauce. Adjust seasoning. Let it cool.
You can try a huge variety of toppings.
Mixed herbs & chilli flakes
- Spread pizza sauce on the shaped dough.
- Add some of the cheese.
- Add toppings and then some more cheese
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 20 mins or till the crust gets brown and firm
- Sprinkle some herbs and chilli flakes and serve hot