A compulsory bandh in Mumbai got me cooking finally. Didn’t have any groceries at home so made the most of what was there. A creamy Mac & Cheese mixed with some sausage and a combination of Parmesan and processed cheese and topped with crunchy buttered bread crumbs. What a delicious lunch it was, just missed some garlic bread though.
150 gms macaroni
100 gms grated parmesan cheese
4 grated cheese cubes
10 minced garlic
2 cups milk
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp maida
4 sausages sliced (can be replaced with any meat or avoided as per prefernce)
2 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni Al Dente. Drain.
- In a pan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and stir in maida.
- Add milk slowly, stirring constantly to smoothen the lumps.
- Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Add all the herbs and adjust seasoning.
- Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well. Ensure you have enough sauce as some will dry out in the oven.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover.
- Bake at 175 degrees C for 20-25 minutes in a preheated oven.