A while ago there was this DDL craze on CaL. Not to be mistaken with DDLJ but equally delicious
The first time I made DDL (Dulche De Leche – caramalised condensed milk), I was petrified. Umpteen discussions with CaL members and step by step procedure approvals before finally attempting it. And then it was love at first lick.
Made a few desserts with DDL and then seemed to have pushed it to the back of my mind.
Today I wanted to make something for my building friends and kept wondering what new should I do with brownies. It suddenly hit me DDL and that was it.
Delicious DDL brownies ready. The caramelly chewy bottoms make this brownie extra special.
- Take a can of Amul/Nestle condensed milk. Discard any plastic lid. DO NOT open the can, it has to be sealed.
- Take a big pressure cooker and fill it with water
- Insert the can and keep it lying down side ways in the cooker. The water level should be higher than the can.
- Put the cooker lid with the whistle on and keep on high.
- After the first whistle, keep on slow for 20-25 mins.
- Shut the gas and DO NOT touch the cooker for another hour or till its absolutely cool to touch.
- Open the lid and remove the can carefully, leave aside till absolutely cool.
- When cool, open and use.
Morde Dark Chocolate – 220 gm
Amul Butter- 110 gm
Brown Sugar- 190 gm
Flour- 80 gm
Cocoa powder- 10 gm
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
Coffee powder – 1 tbsp
- Melt the butter and chocolate together. Cool.
- Add the sugar to the chocolate mix and whisk. Add the eggs, one by one, whisking between each addition.
- Add the vanilla and give another quick whisk.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and coffee powder.
- Add the dry ingredients in two increments. Use the cut and fold method. Do not over-mix.
- Use a double boiler to get the DDL to a thinner consistency.
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Line an oven-proof dish with butter paper, leaving a little bit of overhang on all sides, just enough to be able to pull the baked layer from the dish. Pour the DDL and spread evenly.
- Pour the brownie batter and smoothen the top with a spatula.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 35-40 minutes.
- The tops should be firm and a toothpick inserted in the centre should come away with just a little stickiness.
- Leave it in the oven for a few more minutes. Cool.