This dish is very typical of a Mangalorean home and my mom used to make it often. You don’t really need an accompaniment with it except maybe some papad on the side.
1 cup grated fresh coconut
2-3 green chillies
1 lime size ball of tamarind
2-3 garlic flakes
1 tbsp jeera
1 medium sized lauki/bottle gourd peeled and cut into cubes
1 chopped tomato
1/4 tsp Haldi
1 tbsp mustard seeds/Rai
4-5 crushed garlic flakes
Chopped Coriander leaves
- Grind the coconut, green chillies, garlic, ginger, tamarind and jeera with little salt and water to a fine paste.
- Boil the lauki and tomato with enough water covering the vegetables. Add salt and little haldi.
- When the lauki is 90% cooked (remember don’t let it get mushy – needs a bite to it), add the chutney paste and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 mins (don’t let it boil as may split).
- Add the coriander leaves and mix well.
- For the tadka/tempering heat oil, add the mustard seeds when it splits add the karipata and garlic. When golden, put this tadka into the curry.
- Serve with steamed rice.