Lauki/dudhi/ghiya and a million other name, bottle gourd features in a variety of dishes from soups to mains to desserts. I have never been fond of this except in two preparations – chutney curry and Bohri style halwa.
When your fussy teenager is disappointed thay there isn’t enough soup for her, you know this recipe is a hit. She has specifically asked me to make this soup again soon.
1 cup peeled cubed bottle gourd
5 garlic flakes
1 TSP mixed herbs
1/2 tsp pepper
1.5 cup water
- Take the bottle gourd, onion and garlic in a pan with the water, heat it on SIM covered and let it steam for 15 mins or till the lauki is soft.
- Let it cool then strain it, keeping the residue liquid aside.
- Grind the veggies to a fine paste.
- Heat a pan, add the puree and liquid. Adjust consistency.
- Add salt, herbs and pepper as per taste.
- Bring to a boil and shut gas. Serve warm