I am a fan of Nita Mehta’s recipes. I know a lot of purists will not agree but I find it simple and the end results never fail.
This is a dal makhani I make using her recipe and its an absolute favourite with the kids. All you need is some steamed or jeera rice and a light raita to accompany it. Here is the recipe modified to my taste buds.
1 cup saboot urad
1 tbsp ghee + 1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp ginger garlic paste + 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
3-4 dried red chillies
4-5 tomatoes pureed
1 tbsp kasoori methi
2 tsp dhania powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp butter
1 pkt Amul cream
- Wash the dal well, put it in a big cooker along with lots of water, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, ghee and dried red chilli. After the first whistle, keep on low for 40 mins. Shut the gas.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, add a tbsp of ghee and 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste, fry it and then add the tomato puree. cook till the paste is dry and leaves oil
- Add the masalas and salt and fry it for a while. Add the kasoori methi and mix it well.
- Add this masala to the boiled dal and cook on low flame.
- Add the butter and keep cooking for another 20 mins, stirring at intervals.
- Adjust seasoning and add the cream, mix well.
- Let it simmer for another 15 mins on a low flame, Serve hot