This entire lockdown I have been hunting baby potatoes so that I could make this dish especially for the blog. Since I couldn’t find any, I decided to make some with regular potatoes but chose the smallest ones from the lot.
A perfect starter with a glass of chilled beer. Combination of spicy and tangy and super easy to serve/eat. Do try it once. Aloo bemisaal
7-8 small potatoes or 14 baby potatoes
2 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp jeera
1 black cardamom
2 green cardamom
1″ cinnamon stick
1/4 cup curd mixed with 1.5 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (adjust chilli levels as per taste)
1/2 tsp saunt or ginger powder
1 tbsp roasted and powered saunf
1/2 cup water
- Put the potatoes in a pressure cooker and give one whistle, lower gas and leave for 2 minutes. Shut the gas.
- When pressure drops, remove the potatoes and peel the skin. It they are regular potatoes half them or quarter depending on size. If baby potatoes then leave as is after peeling.
- Poke the potatoes gently with a fork, ensuring they don’t break apart.
- Heat oil for deep frying and fry the potatoes till golden brown on medium heat. Set aside.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Let it smoke and then shut the gas.
- When it’s less hot then switch on the gas and add jeera and the rest of the garam masalas. Keep flame low.
- Mix it and add the curd chilli mixture and Sautee well.
- Add the potatoes and let it coat this masala well.
- Sprinkle the salt, ginger and saunf powder and mix it well.
- Add the water and bring it to one boil.
- Lower flame and cover cook for about 8-10 mins or till water has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle the coriander and mix well. Shut the gas