Another treasure saved for a rainy day. I had saved this recipe by someone who makes amazing non vegetarian food – Jaspreet S Nirula nearly 6 years ago. Never got around to making it till now.
Cyclone Nisarga seemed to threaten Mumbai and if this would have been my last meal, I would have died a happy soul. Luckily am still alive and ready to share this amazing dish with everyone.
It’s slow cooked with minimal ingredients and given enough time to allow the flavours to develop. This dish does not need effort but lots of patience. I paired it with laccha paratha as pati banned me from making Naans. But what a wonderful combination. Am waiting to eat the leftovers tomorrow as am sure the flavours will develop more.
2 tsp Garlic paste
2 tsp Ginger paste
2 tsp Green Chili paste
1/4 cup coriander leaves crushed
1-2 tbsp Curd
3 grated Onions
10 chopped Garlic cloves
4 Whole kashmiri red chilies
2 tsp Red Chili powder
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
Nutmeg a couple of pinches
3-4 tbsp Mustard Oil
Salt to taste
Green coriander for garnish
Juice of half lime
- Firstly, marinate the mutton with ginger, garlic, green chili paste, curd, salt and crushed green coriander leaves.
- Leave it in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 24 hours.
- Now take a heavy bottomed pan – heat oil (smoke the oil first, reduce the temperature)
- Add whole red chilies, garlic cloves and grated onions. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes until the onions start getting that slightly golden tinge.
- Now add the marinated mutton and bhunno on high heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Next add the dry spices along with salt except the cumin powder and garam masala powder. Add very little water to ensure the spices do not burn.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook the mutton. Keep stirring it in between.
- It would take around an hour or 1.5hrs for this bhunnoing process and also for meat to get cooked properly (depending on the quality of meat).
- Once the meat is cooked, add cumin powder and garam masala. Adjust the seasoning, sprinkle nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Squeeze some lime abd serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.