Comfort food. Especially mom ke haath ka comfort food. Heaven. When asked what it was, after a lon hard thought, decided it had to be this dish.
Marvaay da addye or mussels and steamed rice balls cooked in spicy coconut gravy. I don’t like mussels at all but absolutely love this dish. The mussels are given to my hubby while I devour the spicy rice balls. Had never attempted it before and used the opportunity of mom visiting me to make it under her guidance. It took me 2 visits to the fish market to get mussels and finally managed to get it but they are really tiny.
The dish is super elaborate and took a few hrs to finish. But it’s finally done and now feeling a bit emotional. Presenting mummies Mangalorean Marvay da addye.
1 kilo mussels (teesrya)
2 cups red Kerala rice
ROAST SEPARATELY WITH A DROP OF OIL
12-15 dried Kashmiri chillies
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tbsp mustard
1 tsp jeera
1/4 tsp methi seeds (10-15 seeds)
GRIND WITH ROASTED MASALA AND LITTLE WATER TO MAKE A VERY FINE PASTE
1&1/2 freshly grated coconut
1 lemon size ball of tamarind
8 garlic flakes
1 tbsp mustard seeds
6 crushed garlic
1 big chopped onion
1) soak 2 cups red Kerala rice overnight
3) transfer to a soft cloth and steam without lid. Every 5-10 mins, remove the cloth filled with batter and knead it. Once the steam is released, shut the gas after 10 mins (depends on the firmness). Don’t forget to knead in between.
6) meanwhile wash the mussels in water 3-4 times. Pour little water (below mussels line) bring to a boil and lower gas. keep for few mins till the shells open. Shut the gas and let it cool a bit. Break one half of the shell and discard, only leave the shell which has the meat in it. Reserve the water that the mussels have been cooked in. Leave it at a tilted angle so any residue can collect at the bottom
7) heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add mustard, when it splutters, add karipatta and smashed garlic. When the garlic turns golden, add the onion and fry till golden brown
8) now add the masala paste and some water. Also add the liquid reserved from cooking the mussels. Be careful while pouring that the grime should be left behind. adjust consistency and add salt and haldi.
9) bring to a boil and cook for 5 mins. Add the steamed rice balls and mussels, cook for another minute and shut gas. Leave it for half hr to soak before serving.