My mom is known for her cooking and whenever we have a party at home, the one dish that she has to make 90% of the time is Kori Aajadina or chicken Sukka. Fantastic to dunk ur bread or Dosa in the rich creamy thick coconut gravy. Never fails to delight.
MOMS SUKKHA CHICKEN – Mangalorean style
20-25 dry red Kashmiri chillies,
3 tbsp dhania seeds
1 tbsp jeera
1/2 tsp methi seeds
1 tsp rye
1 tbsp khus khus
10 flakes garlic
Small ball tamarind
3 big onions chopped
1 kg chicken pieces
10 leaves karipata
1 grated coconut
1 tbsp butter
1) Roast chillies, dhania, jeera, methi, pepper, dalchini, rye, khus khus and laung . (One by one)
2) Grind the roasted spices with garlic, 1 onion, tamarind and haldi to a fine paste
3) In a vessel cook the chicken with the ground masala paste and some salt. Add very little water to cook the chicken if needed.
4) Dry out the water once the chicken is cooked. If there is excess water then remove some of it. It can be dried later with the tadka
5) Fry ghee, curry pata , 1 chopped onion and coconut.
6) When the coconut gets golden brown, coarse grind it.
7) Add the coconut masala to the chicken. Mix well
8) For the tadka heat ghee and fry 1 onion (if there was any excess water when cooking the chicken dry it out now)
Add this tadka to the chicken
Serve with Pav or neer dosa