Everytime I get mutton, I want to try out a new recipe. I saw this delicious recipe of Karara Mutton by Tejal Suvarna and I instantly knew I wanted to try this.
My favourite mutton dish is from my friend Sahana Shivprasad Shetty hotel Shelter and trust me when I tell u that it’s irresistible. I hope to recreate that some day. When I read Tejals recipe it sounded interesting and I hoped it would come close to the Shelter hotel one.
It’s different but that doesn’t stop it from being quite delicious. Made just a few changes to her recipe but in essence it’s hers only. The best thing is that u can use the stock to flavour ur rice and that’s what we paired it with.
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1.5 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
2 tbsp dhania jeera powder
1 tsp amchur
2 tsp kitchen king masala
2 tsp crushed kasuri methi
4 tbsp maida + 4 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp ghee
2 tsp chopped garlic
10 garlic flakes
2-3 slit green chillies
- Marinate the mutton with the first marinade and leave it for 30 mins .
- Put the mutton in a pressure cooker and cover with water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles and lower gas letting it cook for another 10 minutes on slow. The timing depends on quality of mutton. Ensure u cook the mutton only till 90% done.
- Once the pressure drops, strain the stock and keep aside. This stock can be kept to flavour rice.
- Marinate the mutton pieces with the second marinade adding some oil to it. Leave for 1 hr.
- Heat oil+ghee and add some karipata, garlic and green chillies to it.
- Once it sizzles, fry the mutton on medium to high flame.
- Brown the meat while ensuring you don’t overcook it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and a generous sprinkle of chaat masala.