When the client orders chicken tikka masala and you have never made it though eaten it a lot, what do u say?
Well I said yes!! I have made the tikkas before for New year’s Eve after Ameya shared the recipe in the live on our Facebook group Foodies Central. The bhuna masala gravy I have made before for other dishes so I knew I could marry the two.
Presenting my version of the Chicken Tikka Masala.
8 boneless thigh pieces Half cup hung curd 1 tbsp mustard oil 3 tsp tandoori masala 1 tbsp lemon juice 2-3 tsp kashmiri chilli powder Salt Butter 1 pc coal and 2 tbsp ghee 1/4 cup mixed – onion petals, cubed capsicum and tomato cubes (without seeds)
1. Mix the curd, masalas, lemon juice, mustard oil and salt properly, marinate the chicken overnight in it.
2. Heat butter on a grill pan, cook the chicken till it’s done.
4. Sautee this in the same pan after removing the chicken.
5. Meanwhile heat a coal on a naked flame for 10-15 mins till red hot.
6. Keep the cooked chicken and veggies in a plate, place a steel bowl in the center. Place the red hot coal in the bowl and pour the ghee on it and quickly cover with a done lid to add smoky flavours to the tikka. Tikka recipe courtesy Ameya Warty
2-3 tbsp ghee 1 big onion – grated 2 small tomatoes – pureed 1/2 pkt tomato puree 2 tbsp cashew paste (soak 7-8 cashews in warm water and grind to paste) 2 tbsp paste of ginger garlic and green chilli 2 tsp dhania powder 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder 1 tbsp kitchen king masala 1 tbsp crushed kasuri methi 1/2 – 3/4 cup water Salt Chopped coriander leaves
1. Head ghee in a pan, add the grated onion and fry till translucent.
3. Leave some of the marinade for the onion, capsicum and tomato. Toss them in it.
2. Add the ginger garlic chilli paste and sautee till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add the fresh and packed tomato puree. Sautee well.
4. Add the cashew paste and the masalas and fry till it leaves oil. Add salt.
5. Add water and let the gravy cook out.
6. Add the kasuri methi and mix well. Adjust seasoning.
7. Now add the chicken and veggies and mix it well till it costs the chicken.
8. Top with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.