2018 Masterchef Australia season 10, Chef Saransh Goila puts forward a pressure test with his famous butter chicken. I was like hmm, is it really that difficult. And then I watched process after process and realised this is no ordinary butter chicken.
This year I haven’t got the heart to watch MasterChef with the change in judges. The season is on and I still don’t want to watch it, a show I was glued to. But I did decide to make the dish as was bored of my quickie butter chicken recipe.
I did a trial for an order yesterday and when I tasted it, I was hooked. Luckily had made a big batch of the gravy so made it again today for the family. It’s a long elaborate process which I did cut short a bit. But the finished product had everyone licking their lips and wanting more.
300 gms boneless chicken
50g pre-hung yoghurt
1 ½ tsp mustard oil
25 gms ginger and garlic paste
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli paste
pinch ground cardamom
¼ tsp Garam Masala
½ tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
4 whole cloves
1 black cardamom pod
4 green cardamom pods
1 kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
250 gms chopped onion
50 gms chopped garlic
60 gms cashew nuts
1 tsp honey
3 tsp coriander powder
1 ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
2 tbsp kasoori methi (fenugreek leaves)
salt, to taste
70 gms butter
2 tbsp thickened cream
2 tbsp roasted kasoori methi
70 gms finely chopped onions
20 GM’s finely chopped garlic
40 gms butter
1 ½ tsp vegetable oil
½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
50 gm butter
1 large piece pre-lit coal
1 tbsp Roasted Kasoori Methi
Thickened cream, for drizzling
- To cook the Tandoori Chicken, thread the marinated chicken thighs onto 2 skewers. Place chicken skewers onto the hot grill or pre heated oven at 200 degrees C.
- Use tongs to turn the skewers occasionally until slightly charred and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Brush with butter as u turn it.
- Remove from the grill/oven and place onto a clean chopping board. Remove the chicken from the skewers and set aside until needed. U can also use chicken with bones if u wish.
- For the gravy, place the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves, mace and black and green cardamom pods into a square of muslin cloth and tie up to form a parcel.
- Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, cashew nuts, honey, water, milk, ground coriander, Kashmiri chilli powder, kasoori methi, good pinch of salt, butter and the muslin spice bag into a pressure cooker. Secure the lid, after first whistle lower the flame and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooker has released pressure, open the lid and discard the muslin cloth bag.
- Grind the ingredients to a smooth sauce.
- Heat the butter and oil mentioned under tadka, in a large pot.
- Add onions and sauté until just golden. Once the onions are golden, add the garlic and sauté until just golden.
- Add the Kashmiri powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the puréed butter chicken sauce base, ensuring it sizzles, and stir to combine.
- Let the sauce simmer for 10 – 12 minutes to allow the colour to change to a deep orange. Shut the gas.
- For the Roasted Kasoori Methi, place the kasoori methi in a frypan and cook until fragrant and slightly smokey. Remove from the heat and reserve half in a bowl for later use. Crush the remaining half between your palms into a bowl to be used for the gravy.
- In the meanwhile, heat the coal on a naked flame for 8-10 minutes or till it’s really hot.
- Place a steel bowl in the center of the gravy vessel and add the hot coal in it.
- Pour the butter on the coal and u will see smoke emit from it. Cover immediately with a lid and leave covered for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, then remove the bowl of charcoal butter and strain the Coal Butter into a clean bowl.
- Add 3 teaspoons of the strained Coal Butter into the butter chicken sauce.
- Add the cream and stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the crushed leaves to the finished butter chicken sauce.
- Add the shredded tandoori chicken to the butter chicken gravy and simmer on the heat for 2-3 minutes until warm. Remove from the heat.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and sprinkle some more roasted kasuri methi that was kept aside.
- Drizzle cream when u serve.
For the complete recipe –https://10play.com.au/masterchef/recipes/goila-butter-chicken/r190614iebfv