When you want to treat your family and friends, but the thought of the effort involved makes you rethink the menu, this is the meal you should make.
A special menu prepared just for my family. Though it looks elaborate, it’s actually quite easy to prepare.
Herb buttered potatoes
Mushroom cream sauce
Except for the bread, everything is home made.
Recipe adapted from www.jocooks.com
2 large chicken breasts
1/2 cup maida/ all purpose flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp Red chilli powder/paprika
- Place the chicken breast in between 2 plastic sheets or a Ziploc bag. Pound it gently with a mallet to get appx 1/4 inch thickness. Repeat with the other breast.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In one shallow plate whisk the flour with salt and paprika/chilli powder. In another shallow plate whisk the breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and the mustard.
- Place it next to each other like on an assembly line. Start by coating the chicken in the flour mixture first, shaking off any excess. Dip it into the egg mixture next, making sure it’s fully covered in egg, and lastly dredge it through the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a plate and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Heat oil enough to deep fry the chicken, in a pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot enough place a schnitzel into the skillet and fry, the oil should sizzle. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until the schnitzel is a deep golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Serve schnitzels with lemon wedges.
HERBED BUTTER POTATOES
Half kg baby potatoes
2-3 tbsp butter
2 TSP mixed dried herbs – oregano, basil, parsley
1 tbsp chilli flakes
- Poke the baby potatoes with a fork, no need to remove skin.
- Put it in a pressure cooker with salt and water. One whistle, lower the gas and keep it for 2-3 minutes. Shut the gas.
- When cool, cut the potatoes in half leaving the skin on.
- Take a pan add butter, herbs, chilli flakes and salt. Mix it
- Add the halved potatoes, increase the heat and sautee the potatoes till they are coated well and slighly crisp.
- Serve hot
1 packet mushroom – sliced
5 baby corn sliced
1 small broccoli
You can also add zucchini and bell peppers
- Heat olive oil in a pan and saute garlic and baby corn, cover and cook
- When corn is slightly tender add mushrooms and sautee. Cover and cook.
- If adding zucchini and bell peppers, add it now. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the broccoli, 5 mins before the veggies are done. Cover and cook.
- Add a litte salt, dried herbs and chilli flakes. Mix well and shut the gas. Keep aside.
MUSHROOM CREAM SAUCE
1 pkt mushrooms sliced
1 onion chopped
10 garlic minced
1 TSP dried herbs – oregano basil parsley
1 TSP red chilli flakes
100 ml cream
- Heat oil in a pan and sautee onion and garlic till pink and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and increase heat.
- Add the herbs, chilli and salt and Sautee till the liquid dried off and mushrooms are cooked.
- Lower the gas and add the cream and Sautee.
- This will be a slightly thick sauce