When we became friends over 5 years ago, am talking about my group Vellas, we used to have a lot of potlucks. My friend Apeksha had got masala pav and one bite I was in love. Now I am not a pav bhaji lover not are my kids but the occasional plate is good enough for us.
I got my hands on some pav and didn’t want to eat it just like that so thought let me try to make Appus famous Masala Pav. Luckily she had recently posted the recipe on her Instagram so followed it to the T. (Oh yes except the addition of capsicum as I hate it)
I made some for breakfast and then decided to leave it for lunch. Kids first refused to eat it as it was something new for them but when I went back to eat lunch the pan was empty. Spicy chatpata and delicious.
3 chopped onions
4 chopped tomatoes
2-3 tsp chilli garlic paste ( soak kashmiri chillies in hot water for half HR then grind them with some garlic, jeera and a tsp of oil)
1 tbsp Butter
Less than half Lime
2-3 tsp pav bhaji masala
1 tsp jeera
1 tbsp ghee
- Heat ghee in a pan, add jeera and when it turns golden add the onions.
- Add little salt and cover and cook.
- When soft and translucent add the tomatoes and let it cook through
- Now add the kashmiri chilli and garlic paste as per your spice level. Mix it and let it cook out.
- Add 1 tsp pav bhaji masala and let the mix cook well leaving oil. Add little salt. Add a small quantity of water.
- Now cut the pav into 1″ cubes and add into the pan.
- Sprinkle some salt and pav bhaji masala and mix all of this well. Ensure the pav is coated with the masala and soaks all the tomato mix.
- Squeeze little lime, adjust salt if needed.
- Add some butter and mix well, add the chopped coriander and serve piping hot.